Monday, April 28, 2014

"Children Are A Reflection Of Their Parents" Is a LIE! (An update on Natalie)

Natalie has successfully completed her twelve month therapeutic program and returns home Friday.  That is a sentence I never dreamed I would write.  Me?  A mother who has a child struggling with serious emotional issues?  A child who has spent months in a therapeutic boarding school?  I would have bet the entire bank against it.  

The control freak inside of me wants you Doubting Thomas's to know that I've dotted my i's and crossed every t.  I'm so much like you.  Each morning, I wake my children with hugs, kisses, and silly songs.  I also tell them multiple times a day how much I love them, carefully making sure to list specific traits I find particularly special.  I've done it their whole lives.  When they have a problem, I tune out the rest of the world to sit and listen.  And when they take on a hobby, I whole-heartedly jump in with them.  We eat dinner around the table, we only watch family-friendly TV, and we all know Jesus.  My life has been a glowing case of text book parenting, so why do I have a child who struggles?

That's what I've been asking myself for twelve months.  I've spent hours and days wondering if I might have had a better result with Natalie if I had parented her in a different way.  My problem is probably glaring to you, but it wasn't so obvious to me until recently.  This isn't about I, I, I or me, me, me at all.  This is about Natalie.  I am responsible for being me, and she, simply, is responsible for being she.  

I became a mom in the extremely popular 'Focus on the Family' era when books like "The Strong Willed Child", "Parenting Isn't For Cowards", "Bringing Up Boys",  etc.  were akin to the Holy Bible and were touted in every Christian circle.   Thousands upon thousands of us bought into it to the tune of millions of dollars in book sales.  And in the wake of that well-intentioned rubbish training, some of us have come to realize there is no magical blueprint for success when it comes to parenting.  It scares me too death to think of the puffed up pride I would have in my children if it hadn't been for Natalie's struggles.  Geez, I might've written my own instructional book for parents (insert roll of the eyes).  The gift of humility comes crashing in on us in the most unexpected ways, doesn't it?  The truth is, the successes of our children have very little to do with us, and much more to do with "who" they are.  (Ouch!)  

When Natalie returns on Friday, I'll hopefully be a better mom.  I'll still belt out my silly songs, dole out hugs, and lord over what TV shows are appropriate for our home, but I will view my family and my own role in it in a brand new way.  The old adage, "Children are a reflection of their parents", is a lie.  Don't believe it.  Children, instead, were created to reflect the Creator's plan and purpose for their lives.  To believe anything else is pure apostasy, a rebellion of God's Word.   

I still don't know why God allowed Natalie to be dumped in a run down orphanage by a teenage mom who was also an orphan, to endure electric shocks, and to be treated more like an animal than a human for the first three years of her life.  I don't know what method He used to choose my family to be the ones to pluck her out and make her a part of our own family, and I don't guess I'll ever understand why He didn't spare her from Reactive Attachment Disorder and all the psychotic behavior that has accompanied it.  But He knows.  And He holds her future.  For me, from this point forward, that is all that matters.

To close, Natalie, if you ever stumble upon this post, I want you to be reminded again how much you are loved and valued.  Sweet girl, YOU HAVE VALUE!  Reactive Attachment Disorder and Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, while they are unwanted companions, do not define who you are.  We will continue to persevere with you through whatever comes and know we will all get through this together.  We are so proud of the hard work you continually put into your treatment and look forward to everything the Lord has in store for you.  He is not capable of making mistakes; you have been perfectly created to be everything He wants you to be.  Love, Love, Love you....        

If you live in the Nashville area and have been praying for Natalie, I want to invite you to come to our church service this Sunday to celebrate her return home.  Following the service, we'll celebrate with lots of sugary treats and allow friends time to greet her, meet her, and give hugs with words of encouragement:

Where:  
The Refuge Church
2001 Campbell Station Parkway, Suite A-7
Spring Hill, TN 37174

When:  Sunday, the 4th of May

Time:  5:10pm

         

12 comments:

  1. You kicked your adopted NOT BIOLOGICAL kid out of the house for a year.

    Natalie knows that of she doesn't toe the line, you'll kick her out again.

    You biological son, expelled for bullying a classmate? Gets to live at home.

    Natalie? Is disposable to you. She knows it. And you do too!!

    (Hopey whom you never taught to use a fork properly? Gets to live at home being coddled by you.

    Natalie? Exiled from the family home. Will be kicked out yet again. And knows it).

    I'm pretty sure Jesus didn't discriminate the way you do!! Poor Natalie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know who you are Carlee, but I love you! I mean that.

      Delete
  2. It is amazing how rude some people are!! I am glad you got your daughter the help she needed. Some people have no idea the struggle it is to raise a child with major emotional needs. I pray that as she transitions back home she will find the peace and healing that only Jesus can give her. You are a good Mom to get help!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the words of encouragement! I don't pay attention to the negative comments, because I know it is difficult for people to understand what it's like when you have to get outside help for one of your children; until this experience, I didn't understand it either. I so appreciate your prayers for Natalie this week. All things are possible with God! Thanks again!!!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melanie, you are always so gracious. I hope that when/if Carlee ever has children that she doesn't have to experience the things that you have as a mom. I don't think she will be able to handle it with as much grace and faith as you and your family. Lots of love and respect, Lesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesley~ Thank you for your love and prayers. I wish I could say I am always gracious....but the truth is, I'm broken. Smashed to pieces. If it weren't for the Savior holding me up right now, I'd be flat on my face. He is so good. Lots of love and respect back to you, friend! ~Mel

      Delete
  6. I know this wasn't your main point, but there was grace in this post this first time mommy-to-be needed to read today. Thanks for your transparency, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, I've been thinking about you and keeping up with you over facebook! You are going to be such an amazing mommy! Love you, Mel

      Delete
  7. You are spot on. Success in parenting is in OUR obedience, not theirs. We must simply do what He has called us to, in all humility. Blessings to you! Praying for a smooth transition for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara~ Thank you so much for your prayers! "Success in parenting is in OUR obedience, not theirs" sums it all up perfectly! I'm going to write it on a canvas and place it on my wall to remind me when things get tough. Hugs and much love to you!!! ~Mel

      Delete