Friday, January 22, 2010

A Thought From A Friend

A friend who has adopted a little boy with Down Syndrome shared an interesting thought with Chappy recently. See what you think....he said something like this:

When we adopted our son, I suddenly realized no matter how hard my son works throughout his life, he will never have the ability to help me out with my life in any way. He will never be able to obtain a job that will hold alot of value in the world's eyes, and he will never be able to care for me in my old age. Complete dependence.

And then I realized, in that same moment, that is how I am with God. No matter how hard I work in this life, I can never bring anything to him that will help Him out. I will never be able to hold a job or do anything grand enough to make a huge impact on Him.....He is already a perfect, complete God. I am only righteous because of what He has done for me.
Complete dependence.

As a father to this little guy, I can tell you that I love him with a different kind of love than I have ever loved in my life. I adore my son. It moves me to think: this is how God loves me. I can do absolutely nothing that will add to God....I have nothing to bring to the table..... and He knows it. Like my son, I come before Him daily completely disabled and in need. Yet, He loves me anyway in a crazy kind of way. How wonderful that my love for our son is a small constant reminder of God's perfect love for me.

"All our righteous acts are like filthy rags." Isaiah 64:6

"The Lord is good to those who depend upon Him; to those who search for Him."
Lamentations 3:25

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful thought, I may have to share this in our church bulletin. Would I be allowed?? This would be a great way to get our congregation to see our boys in a different light. Don't get me wrong, they LOVE our boys, but this was truly a Great Thought!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow . . . that was great. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That reminds me of Derek Loux's post on adoption and redemption. Such a beautiful picture of God's love for us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy your thought provoking posts. What an incredible comparison presented here. However, I am coming at the first portion with a slightly different perspective. As a young woman with Cerebral Palsy, I am unable to feed, dress, or bathe myself. I cannot walk, turn a page in a book, or pick up a pencil. I use a power wheelchair for mobility.

    Completely dependent? Yes.

    I will graduate with a Bachelor’s in Sociology in May, and I plan to attend graduate school in the Fall. I recently moved to my own wheelchair accessible house, and volunteer with our local mental health center. I have traveled to all 50 states, and to numerous countries. I present these achievements, not as a means of gaining prestige over others, but rather as an illustration that ability is not a brick wall obstructing achievement. It may add many (sometimes unpleasant) detour signs, but on some level, I believe that everyone can achieve.

    That achievement may be as simple as learning how to express feelings, as I realize we are each blessed with unique abilities. However, if my family had been content with initial expectations, I’d be pretty close to the floor in the Limbo game of life. Just as we need to open our hearts to God’s infinite love, we must also resist temptation to place boundaries on achievement.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily, Thank you for your comment; please tell me the post didn't offend you. If it did, then I apologize. I am certain as the years pass, Hope, Charlie and Amy-Joy will surprise me by achieving feats I never thought possible. Right now, however, I feel such responsibility for them.....especially little Hopey with her ongoing heart condition. Like the Father shelters us beneath His pinions, I want to shelter my special babes and protect them all of their days. I love them so much.

    Growing up, my grandmother was bound to a wheelchair and had no use of her arms, hands, legs, and couldn't even turn her head. For 25 years, she was completely eaten up with a rare form of aggressive arthritis. This woman who offered very little from the world's point of view, touched more lives than I could ever hope to touch. She couldn't work, she couldn't even go out very much because the pain was so intense....however, she never missed church. Often, our pastor would call on "Mrs. Elaine" to pray. Oh, how she would pray; she prayed heaven right down among us all.

    So, Emily, I hear you. You are an inspiration for so many, because you haven't allowed your handicap to limit you. I never heard my Grandmother complain one time....I bet you are the same way. Again, thank you for sharing! You seem to have been given more than most "non-handicapped" individuals. God must adore you!

    Blessings Galore!
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand the analogy, but I do disagree with the assumption that his son can not contribute to his life in any way. I have a 4 year old with DS and I would never even think that. Will he be a rocket scientist - no, but he will work and his job will have value because all jobs do whether people realize that or not. He also will do chores around the house and he will continue to be the light of my life. It is also very possible that he can live either independantly or with limited assistance. I can't imagine anyone thinking my baby does not have value. I would say he is priceless. I guess I choose to look at abilities and what he can offer- I can't even fathom the "complete dependence" part. I hope this father finds out one day that he is wrong.

    Kayla

    ReplyDelete