Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Big Day....

Iran promised to give us a stunner today, and I think they delivered. The celebration on the streets was large enough to be seen from miles above via "Google Earth". The parade in the streets was certainly a spectacle to behold: Three effigies of the Grim Reaper.....one for the United States, one for Britain, and one for Israel.

There were only a few hundred brave enough to stand in protest today in Iran. Those were met with arrests, tear gas, and thousands of heavily armed police. Yes, thousands against their hundreds.

In addition, the announcement was made that Iran will continue to enrich Uranium. In response, President Obama announced the time for negotiations with the White House has passed, and together with the United Nations he will work towards: "developing a significant regime of sanctions that will indicate to them how isolated they are from the international community as a whole." Unfortunately, potential holdouts are China and Russia, which would significantly weaken the impact of the UN resolution.

I could write about many things this evening....Caleb's basketball game, Hope and Charlie's antics, Lydia's new song, or Natalie's recent Accelerated Reading achievement at school. However, this evening, my heart is heavy for the people of Iran. Those people are stuck in a pit with escape becoming more and more out of reach as days go by. My heart is also heavy for Israel. Today, as I was occasionally able to keep up with the celebration, I saw many signs declaring "Death to Israel". Benjamin Netanyahu must be struggling mightily for Israel.....wondering what the solution could possibly be.

In all of the madness, I verbally speak God's Word as a constant reminder that He is in control of ALL things. Not even one tiny atom in the entire universe can move without His decree:

"When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it?" (Amos 3:6)

"I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the Lord, do all these things." (Isaiah 45:7)

"When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider: God has made the one as well as the other." (Ecclesiastes 7:14)

"What? Shall we receive good from the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?" (Job 2:10)

Those are tough scripture passages to read, aren't they? But His Word is perfect and true. In all the chaos of life, we must stand on His Word and be reminded, HE IS IN CONTROL. Our Father is never taken by surprise. In a strange sort of way, that brings peace to me, and I hope it does to you as well. Let's join in prayer for Iran, for Israel, and for the leaders of our Nation. Change is definitely coming.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the beautiful scripture. I too keep finding a peace in our situation just in knowing that God IS GOD. I am not. The govt is not. No one that I want to think might be in control of our situation is really in control. It is God. And he knows what is best. I was praying about the situation and will continue...until He returns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the scripture references. I feel sad for the people of Iran who will bear the brunt of their government's choices, as well.

    I read about this stuff & it makes me wonder if we're insane, focusing so much on adopting the girls... but I know that God is leading us in that direction, so I guess I just need to trust Him and His timing in all things. Still, it's a bit daunting to think about flying to Ukraine and leaving our kids here when things in the world are in such turmoil. Again... trust in Him, right?

    Thank you for this post & the others, as well, that encourage everyone to get ready & be prepared. I needed that jolt back to reality!

    ReplyDelete