Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

We had a wonderful weekend. The kids' fundraiser for flood victims was a tremendous success. They managed to raise nearly $300.00 by selling donuts all day on Saturday. Way to go!



My parents were in town this weekend for Lydia's violin recital, and an added bonus was having my mom here for Mother's Day. I love my mom. Growing up, we were always the best of friends.....shopping together, laughing until our sides split at re-runs of "I Love Lucy" and talking about boys until the wee hours of the morning.



One of our funniest "shopping stories" was when the new Gloria Vanderbilt tight jeans came into vogue in the 80's. Everyone had to have them. The one and only store who had any left was teeming with female shoppers, so dressing rooms were tough to come by. We finally found one available and decided we better share it since my dad (who was with us) was growing more and more impatient by the minute. The dressing rooms of this particular store did not have doors, but curtains that didn't quite cover the door frame (you know the type). We both started to put the skinny jeans on and realized at the same exact moment that the infamous jeans were not going to "slide" on as we had hoped. Each of us, with one leg in and the other leg out, lost our balance and fell OUTSIDE the curtain into the hallway. We couldn't get up, because we were laughing too hard and because the stinking jeans were too tight. Humiliating. Needless to say, we did not leave with Gloria Vanderbilt jeans that day, though being the style conscience gals we were in the eighties, we did end up purchasing some and wore them with great pride (and constant giggles).



Mom and I have been through many ups and downs together through the years; we haven't always agreed on everything. Being so close, however, we have always managed to work through the natural circumstances "life" has brought our way. It is a testimony to love, I think, to be able to accept one another no matter what....for instance, I love my mom even though she is sometimes wrong and she manages to love me even though I am typically aggravatingly right! Ha! Ha! My mom is reading this and would tell you the exact opposite is true.....



This weekend, mom watched as I related to my teenager (now 6 ft. tall and looking down at me), sweet Caleb.....she was a spectator at my side as Lydia and Natalie (our eleven year olds) put on an "I Love Lucy" skit (Vita-meeta-vegamin---more hilarious than Lucy herself).....she encouraged me while noticing my efforts to subdue flying mashed potatoes and green beans at the dinner table with Hopey.....and she gathered diapers and wipes every other hour for Charlie "changes". Life has changed for mom and me.....Instead of being my mom, she now watches me be mom. I wonder if her observations make her think of times we shared as I grew up under her watch and care? Time tends to make me appreciate my own mom more and more.

To all the moms, I hope you had a fabulous Mother's Day! May we be continually mindful of the blessings we have in our moms and our children. God gave us a perfect gift when He created us for one another, didn't He?

1 comment: