Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Tragic Loss Of An Orphan Advocate

It seems an odd time to talk about death, doesn't it? Afterall, Christmas is a time to celebrate life. Today, a wonderful Christian man, Derek Loux, tragically died in a car accident when his vehicle slid on black ice.

Death is as sure as anything on earth.....the sun comes up every morning to bring light, the waves of the ocean continually hit the shore, and time marches on. Likewise, we begin to die following the very first moments of birth.

The day we left the hospital with Hope in October, we were told she still has an aneurysm in her heart; consequently, her prognosis is unknown. I remember very clearly the ride home. I was consumed with fear to the point of shaking and having trouble taking breaths. Chappy and I didn't speak a word the entire way home, and I just sat staring out the window holding tightly to my fear.

God did not speak audibly to me on that ride home, but He spoke clearly to my thoughts. He supernaturally grabbed hold of my senseless pondering and asked: "Do you believe My Word is true or not?" In that instance, I remembered that I indeed do believe His Word is true. Then He pressed upon me the knowledge that Hope's days were numbered long before she was created. He had already skillfully planned each and every day of her life. I wrapped that truth carefully and tucked it into my heart. Any time fear rears its ugly head regarding Hope's life, I reach into my heart and unwrap the truth. It comforts me all of the time.

Today is a day of such depth of sorrow for the Loux family that I dare not pretend I know how they feel. I don't. What I do know, however, is Derek Loux left this earth today sliding into eternity out of breath and worn out from all of the work he has done on earth.....his hair wasn't neat and tidy, he wasn't worried about the clothes he was wearing or the treasures he had collected on earth. His death was unexpected......Derek was taken by surprise.

What if you and I were taken by surprise like Derek? If we were to stand before the Almighty today, would we be able to say we had worked tirelessly for the Kingdom? Would we be able to say our primary goal on earth was to serve the King of King and Lord of Lords? Would Father run to us and grab us up in His arms saying: "I am thrilled to see you.....you have made me so proud.....well done!"

As we prepare for the time when believers all over the world stop to remember the greatest gift ever given, let's remember to stop and remember WHO HE is. He is GOD!!! And it does matter how we live our lives. Derek understood this truth, and He met His Father fully prepared and ready. Are we???

Please take a few minutes to be blessed beyond measure as you read about the Loux family's adoption journey (7 adopted children---four adopted last year: two with Down Syndrome, one with Spina Bifida, and a 13 year old girl who had been abused) In addition, they founded the Josiah Fund to rescue orphans (the ministry named after their son, Josiah, who died when he was 2 1/2 after a battle with Spina Bifida) http://www.louxfamilyblog.com/ If you take time to honor this family by viewing their blog, you will be so happy you did!

James 4:17
"Therefore , to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin."

3 comments:

  1. He was an amazing man. That is for sure. His heart for orphans was SO big. It seems like his response was always "yes of course we can help" I can only hope that their faith is a comfort to him during this terribly tragic time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know Mr Loux, and in truth only vaguely knew of him. Today after reading of his accident, I took a few moments to read about this amazing man. He truly seems like he was a man after God's own heart. I'm so sorry for his family who are undoubtedly grieving tremendously, but hope that they have comfort in that he is with Josiah now and one day they will join them both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had known him. Thank you for sharing with us so we can pray for his family.

    ReplyDelete